The Tarot is an oracle deck of 78 cards that have been used since the 16thcentury, but its roots may date back to ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia. The Tarot is divided into two groups: The Major Arcana of 22 cards, and the Minor Arcana of 56 cards. The word arcana is based on the Latin word arcanus, meaning hidden secret.
Major Arcana (important secret) represents 22 archetypal aspects of our life’s journey. It is helpful to imagine the major arcana arranged in a circle versus a line to visualize it as the wheel of life.
In Pythagorean terms, a circle is seen as the creator of many and the sum of all. It is both the beginning point and the container.
The first Major Arcana card “0” in the Tree Spirit Tarot deck, is called the Wonderer, as the one who is wondering. Cards “1-21” represent the path one takes in finding their unique place in the world as well as the challenges and opportunities along life’s journey. Eventually a desire to feel whole inspires the wonderer to return to home, to the oneness waiting in the garden of their soul.
The journey of the Wonderer is also found in the ancient mystery teachings of the Kabbalah. The Wonderer (soul) enters the Tree of Life and descends through the ten sefirot to manifest into human form. As a fully manifested human the Wonderer’s innate desire is to remember itself as a soul. This inspires the wonderer to now ascend the Tree of Life in hopes of returning home to spiritual oneness.
The first card in the Major Arcana is typically called the “Fool.” In the Tree Spirit Tarot deck, the Fool “0” is the Wonderer, who is wondering.
Cards “1-21” represent the path one takes in finding their unique place in the world as they face the challenges and opportunities of life. Eventually a desire to return home becomes the ultimate goal.
Major Arcana – Trees on our Journey
0. Wonderer – Birch – Beginnings
- Magi – Almond – Purpose
- Mystic – Gingko Biloba – Initiation
- Earth – Fig – Co-creation
- Sky – Oak – Divine Nature
- Teachers – Redwood – Council
- Lovers – Pomegranate – Passion
- Chariot – Ash – Life Force
- Strength – Mangrove – Support
- Hermit – Banyan – Reflection
- Wheel of Fortune – Ceiba – Change
- Justice – Bristlecone Pine – Truth
- Hanged One – Yew – Paradox
- Death – Cypress – Transition
- Temperance – Laurel – Moderation
- Devil – Apple – Shadow
- Tower – Eucalyptus – Obstacle
- Star – Cottonwood – Hope
- Moon – Willow – Intuition
- Sun – Orange – Joy
- Judgment – Olive – Peace
- The World – Baobab – Return